Thursday, May 1, 2014

Women of the Wall


 I don’t know much about this. This is just a personal opinion/reaction. I am not going to pretend like I know about Orthodox views and their lifestyle. I am not going to say that my opinion on this was right. But this is how I saw it...
At the Kotel today with Women of the Wall, a woman came up yelling in Hebrew. She then realized that we had no idea what she was saying and proceeded to tell people around me (in English) that what we were doing was wrong. She told us that we were doing something disgraceful. Here we are, standing up for her rights, the rights of women, and she is telling us that we are doing something wrong. 
I don’t know how she thinks. I don’t know her perception of life. But to me this was like her telling us to let her be oppressed. That she liked the oppression. I understand that our world views, life views, spiritual views, and mostly all our views, are different. But to me it is like she is degrading women herself. Like she is adding to the oppression. It was sad. For me personally it was sad to see a woman who thinks that she is less than a man and therefore cannot pray in the same ways as a man. 

1 comment:

  1. I think that if you take a complicated situation, and just call it as you see it, it "decomplicates" it. I am sure that that women has many reasons for saying what she said, but I loved the way you worded how the situation happened. I too find it sad that a women is degrading herself! I don't understand why that was necessary.

    ReplyDelete